Yunzi Biconvex Stones Set
Overall Rating: 10 / 10 Ponnuki
- This is a fantastic set that comes with quality stones and bowls.
- The stones are durable so you can play them with as much force as you’d like without fear of easily damaging them (as you might with slate and shell stones).
- Bowls are excellent quality and have a beautiful finish to them.
- 180 white and 181 black genuine Yunzi stones.
- Large Size 33 double convex stones measure 9.2mm tall and 21mm wide (about 3/8″ x 3/4″)
- Two Kitani style jujube wood Yunzi stone holders that measure 5″ W x 4″ H (12.7cm x 10cm)
- Vinyl travel carrying case
When purchasing my first go set, this was by far the most anticipated piece of equipment. After all, the prospect of playing with real stones and making the aesthetic sound as you play each move was so exciting! However, I digress, here is what the package looked like when it came in. As with all other items I’ve received from Yellow Mountain Imports, everything was packaged and protected very well.
When you open the bag, here’s what you see.
For those who are have never purchased yunzi before, they do not come all fresh and shiny when you receive them. The stones come with a white powder coat in order to protect from damage during shipment.
Although it requires a bit of elbow grease and time to get them shined up and ready to go, I personally found the process very enjoyable and rewarding. It’s hard to say what it is exactly, but there’s just something about personally taking care of your stones that makes your stones that much more enjoyable to use. For those who are curious as to what the process is for cleaning yunzi stones, visit my guide for more information.
Size & Weight: The stones have a solid weight to them that gives a great feeling when picking each one up and placing it on the board. They fit very well on the Shin-Kaya Board that I purchased, but keep in mind that each board is unique in what their max stone size is.
Durability: I have not found durability to be an issue. Granted, I have not tried taking a sledgehammer to them, but I think it could survive anything short of that.
Usability: This set is a fantastic all in one package. Great for leaving at home or bringing with you to the local coffee shop.
If you’re in the market for biconvex stones, this is the set for you.** The bag carries the stones pretty well. The bowls are freaking awesome. And I love the feel of real stones in my hands. Though the price may seem a little high, you are buying a quality set that has so much value and will last a long time.
*Since most people are probably more interested in the stones, I have separated out the bowls and bag review to prevent the review from being overcluttered. You can find the reviews at the following links: Kitani Jujube Bowls & Go Stones and Bowls Carrying Bag.
**In case you are looking for single convex yunzi stone sets, those are available as well and can be found below in the Similar Products section.
- Yunzi Double Convex Stones and Bamboo Bowls – 9.2mm (Size 33)
- Yunzi Double Convex Stones and Jujube Kitani Bowls – 8.8mm (Size 32)
- Yunzi Single Convex Stones and Bamboo Bowls – 22mm (Size 3)
- Yunzi Single Convex Stones and Jujube Kitani Bowls – 5.7mm (Size 3)
Last Updated March 31st, 2013