The Workshop Lectures (Volume 2)
Description: The Workshop Lectures Volume 2 is part a series of lectures given by Yilun Yang at workshops in Maryland and Pennsylvania. The topics covered include: “How to Invade,” “Choosing the Proper Pincer,” “Side Extensions in the Opening,” “Playing a Territorial Game,” and “Playing a Moyo Game.”
[expand title=”Book Details” trigclass=”expandTitle”] [table] Title, The Workshop Lectures (Volume 2)
Series, The Workshop Lectures
Author, Yilun Yang (7P)
Publisher, Slate & Shell
Length, 81 Pages
[/table] [/expand] [expand title=”Table of Content” trigclass=”expandTitle”]
- How to Invade
- Choosing the Proper Pincer
- Side Extensions in the Opening
- Playing a Territorial Game
- Playing a Moyo Game
- A mid-high SDK (single digit kyu) who has read his fair share of books and has a decent foundation of most areas in go.
- Since these are written to be more of a “workshop” format, I was looking forward to a new style of writing along with a refreshing perspective on some common questions that most players might have.
- Topics are broken down into simple explanations that I could easily understand.
- The topics are extremely relevant to the average player.
- Yang usually has a checklist of questions for each section to remind the reader of the important things to remember.
What did I gain from reading this book?
- A better understanding of some prerequisites a player should have before invading an enemy’s sphere of influence.
- A much better grasp of how the purpose of different pincers work.
- A new perspective on how to evaluate potential when choosing side extensions in the opening.
What style of teaching does the book use?
- Workshop Format
- Topics of broken down into its simplest format and represents more of an outline than a thorough textbook.
- Primary Learning Mechanism:
- Explanations with accompanying diagrams
- Other Learning Mechanisms:
- Practice problems with explanations for each solution
What aspect can be improved on?
- No complaints here!
Is this book easy to read?
- Yes. The explanations are concise and the accompanying diagrams are often no more than a few moves long.
- Breaks down topics into really easy to understand explanations.
- Has a lot of valuable content for such a short book!
- Worth every penny you spend on it!
[/expand] [expand title=”Recommended For…” trigclass=”expandTitle”]
- Players who are 10 kyu or stronger.
- Players who want a road map on how to handle the topics covered in the book.
- Slate and Shell – $18.00 USD (shipping and handling not included)
- SmartGo Books – $5.99 USD (e-Book for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch Only)
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 1
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 2
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 3
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 4
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 5
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 6
Last Updated on August 6th, 2013