The Workshop Lectures (Volume 1)
Description: The Workshop Lectures Volume 1 is part a series of lectures given by Yilun Yang at workshops in Maryland and Pennsylvania. The topics covered include: “When to Tenuki in the Opening,” “Choosing the Direction of Attack,” and “Playing Complicated Joseki.”
[expand title=”Book Details” trigclass=”expandTitle”] [table] Title, The Workshop Lectures (Volume 1)
Series, The Workshop Lectures
Author, Yilun Yang (7P)
Publisher, Slate & Shell
Length, 68 Pages
[/table] [/expand] [expand title=”Table of Content” trigclass=”expandTitle”]
- When to Tenuki in the Opening
- Choosing the Direction of Attack
- Playing Complicated Joseki
- Topics are broken down into simple explanations that I could easily understand.
- The topics are extremely relevant to the average player.
- Yang usually has a checklist of questions for each section to remind the reader of the important things to remember.
What did I gain from reading this book?
- A significant increase in my comfort to tenuki in the opening.
- An eye-opening perspective on how to try to select my attacks now.
- A leap forward in trying to understand how complicated josekis develop.
What style of teaching does the book use?
- Workshop Format
- Topics of broken down into its simplest format and represents more of an outline than a thorough textbook.
- Primary Learning Mechanism:
- Explanations with accompanying diagrams
- Other Learning Mechanisms:
- Practice problems with explanations for each solution
What aspect can be improved on?
- No complaints here!
Is this book easy to read?
- Yes. The explanations are concise and the accompanying diagrams are often no more than a few moves long.
- Does a fanatastic job explaining concepts that used to be rather muddled to me.
- Has a lot of incredible content for such a short book!
- Worth every penny you spend on it!
- A mid-high SDK (single digit kyu) who has read his fair share of books and has a decent foundation of most areas in go.
- Since these are written to be more of a “workshop” format, I was looking forward to a new style of writing along with a refreshing perspective on some common questions that most players might have.
[/expand] [expand title=”Recommended For…” trigclass=”expandTitle”]
- Players who are 10 kyu or stronger.
- Players who want a road map on how to handle the topics covered in the book.
- Slate and Shell – $18.00 USD (shipping and handling not included)
- SmartGo Books – $5.99 USD (e-Book for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch Only)
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 1
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 2
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 3
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 4
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 5
- The Workshop Lectures – Volume 6
Last Updated on August 5th, 2013