Get Strong at Invading
Description: In the fifth volume of the Get Strong at Go Series, Bozulich provides a ground-breaking book on a topic that every player in go encounters: invasions. Once the spheres of influences have been established, being able to choose the correct invasions is a key skill to becoming stronger and winning. Through 171 problems, readers will have many opportunities to practice and hone their invasion abilities.
[expand title=”Book Details” trigclass=”expandTitle”] [table] Title, Get Strong at Invading
Series, Get Strong at Go Series
Author, Richard Bozulich
Published, “First Printing May 1995 | Second Printing January 2010″
Length, 152 Pages
Problems, 171 Problems
[/table] [/expand] [expand title=”Table of Content” trigclass=”expandTitle”]
- Part One – Invasions on the Side
- Part Two – Invading Corner Enclosures
- Part Three – Invading Large Territories
[/expand] [expand title=”Synopsis” trigclass=”expandTitle”] What did I enjoy about the book?
- Bozulich breaks invasions up into three common categories that players encounter: corner, sides, and frameworks.
- There are numerous opportunities to practice identifying a similar type of weakness so that you can reinforce it in your mind.
- In addition to identifying weaknesses and common invasion points, there are numerous problems that show the reader how to handle some common responses that their opponent might play.
What did I gain from reading this book?
- A greater understanding and ability to identify how stronger players identify places to invade.
- A much better grasp of what proper follow up moves are and the reason behind them.
- A lot of new ideas regarding how to invade what I once considered “solid territory.”
What is the format of the book?
- A set of problems followed by their solutions and explanation. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
What aspects can be improved on?
- I’m not sure of how feasible this really is, but I think it would have been helpful if there was a one-page summary of basic invasion principles that players should keep in mind when invading.
Is this book easy to read?
- Yes. Explanations and solutions are very short and clear cut. In addition, the diagrams are not very complicated, so the solutions are typically very easy to follow.
- Currently the only book (I’m aware of) that focuses exclusively on invasions.
- Provides a great way for players to get familiar with what are considered good invasion points and how they generally proceed afterwards.
- Highly recommended and worth the money for anyone interested in getting stronger at invading.
The first section on “Invasions on the Side” was very informative in helping me recognize what was considered thin and where the weak points were. In addition, there are variation in the problems regarding how the opponent responds and recommended responses along with the rationale for why the result is considered acceptable. Definitely very helpful.
The next section on “Invading Corner Enclosures” might be my favorite in this book. The reason for this is that I believe that kyu players often have difficulty identifying where to invade in an opponent’s corner enclosure. So more often than not, the territory is left untouched and assumed complete. By exposing players to the weaknesses and ways of living in “completed territory,” I think this will help a lot of players get stronger since they will feel better equipped to fight back when they are behind in territory.
In the last section on “Invading Large Territories,” Bozulich does a great job heping readers identify weak points in very common moyo shapes. Though focused on teaching players common invasion/reduction points, it also serves as a great way to practice analyzing the board as a whole.
My final piece of advice to players thinking about buying this book is this: Being able to choose the right invasion point and being able to make your invasion successful are two VERY DIFFERENT things. Aside from figuring out the proper timing, you must be aware of the fact that successful invasions involve lots of fighting and ability to make living shapes. So while this book will provide you the foundation you need for launching your invasions, just remember that there are multiple aspects to a successful invasion.
[/expand] [expand title=”Recommended For…” trigclass=”expandTitle”]
- Players looking to strengthen their ability to invade their opponent’s positions.
- GoGameGuru – $20.99 USD (shipping and handling not included)
- Kiseido – $21.00 USD (shipping and handling not included)
- Get Strong at the Opening
- Get Strong at Joseki 1
- Get Strong at Joseki 2
- Get Strong at Joseki 3
- Get Strong at Invading
- Get Strong at Tesuji
- Get Strong at the Endgame
- Get Strong at Life and Death
- Get Strong at Handicap Go
- Get Strong at Attacking
Last Updated on September 24th, 2013.