Description: Essential Life & Death 1 is part of the Essential Life & Death Series that is used as workbooks in private go schools in Korea. Though it might be seen as an addendum to the Level Up Series, it certainly can be used as a standalone product for anyone looking to study life and death.
[expand title=”Book Details” trigclass=”expandTitle”] [table] Title, Essential Life & Death 1
Author, Lee Jae-Hwan
Translators, Lee Seong-Geun & Daniela Trinks
Published, “July 8th, 2009″
Length, 168 Pages
[/table] [/expand] [expand title=”Table of Content” trigclass=”expandTitle”]
- One Eye by Tiger’s Mouth
- One Eye by Pushing Ahead
- One Eye by Stretching
- Two Birds with One Stone
- Beware of the 3-Point-Eye Space
- Making the 3-Point Eye Space
- Taking the Weak Point
- Choking the Weak Point
- 1st Review
- Making a Straight Four
- Making a Bent four
- Making a Twisted Four
- Use Dead Stones to Make a Straight Four
- Use Dead Stones to Make a Bent Four
- Use Dead Stones to Make a Twisted Four
- Making a Dead Four
- Making a 5-Point-Eye Shape
- 2nd Review
- Tiger’s Mouth Vital Point
- Playing Inside at the Vital Point
- Vital Point First
- Finding the Vital Point 1
- The Center of Symmetry
- The 1-2 Vital Point
- 3rd Review
- False Eye by Throwing-in Twice
- False Eye by Raising the Throw-in
- False Eye by Miai (Paired Moves)
- False Eye by Cutting
- False Eye by Underneath Attachment
- False Eye by Crawling Out
- 4th Review
- Using a Snapback
- Using a Chokchoksu
- Using a Sacrifice
- Using a Sente (Seonsu)
- Using Jachung
- Using the Suicide-Rule
- Using Miai (Paired Moves) 1
- Making Seki (Dual Life) 1
- 5th Review
- Block to Extend the Eye Space
- Hane to Extend the Eye Space
- Stretch to Extend the Eye Space
- Throw-in to Reduce the Eye Space
- Hane to Reduce the Eye Space
- Push to Reduce the Eye Space
- 6th Review
- Playing Inside (Placement)
- Loose Block
- Loose Connection
- Finding the Vital Point 2
- Using Sacrificed Stones
- Where to Make a Tiger’s Mouth
- Belly Attachment
- 7th Review
- Large Diagonal Spin-Around
- Cut to Spin-Around
- Wedge-in to Spin-Around
- Throw-in 1
- Throw-in 2
- False Eye by Using Jachung 1
- False Eye by Using Jachung 2
- 8th Review
- Beware of a False Eye
- Beware of Jachung
- False Eye after Reduction
- Using Miai (Paired Moves) 2
- Monkey Jump 1
- Monkey Jump 2
- Extending the Eye Space
- Using a Weak Point
- 9th Review
- Making Seki (Dual Life) 2
- 6 Die, 8 Live
- 4 Die, 6 Live
- 2nd Line Life & Death
- Beware of a Pae (Ko)
- Living by Pae (Ko)
- Capturing by Pae (Ko)
- 10th Review
- Final Test
- A workbook-based approach to teaching life and death.
- A great way for players to drill their life and death skills.
- A good introductory book to learning and experiencing life and death problems.
- I’ve studied my fair share of life and death and can confidently say that I have a SDK (single digit kyu) level of life and death.
- I was hoping for very easy problems that would help polish my basic life and death skills.
- They have no reservation in terms of making you drill the same concept repeatedly.
- The concept of using seki to save your group is used very often from the very beginning.
- The review sections (e.g., quizzes) and tests do a great job helping you determine if you actually learned the previous lessons.
What did I gain from reading this book?
- Polished my basic life and death skills.
- Improved my ability to see seki as an option when solving life and death problems.
- Realization that I had a long way to go for life and death.
What style of teaching does the book use?
- Curriculum Style
- Content is organized into lessons, topics, or themes in order to facilitate learning.
- Teaching Mechanism:
- Practice problems
What aspect can be improved on?
- No complaints here!
Is this book easy to read?
- Yes. Unless you can’t read English, it really doesn’t get any simpler.
[/expandsub1] [expandsub2 title=”Elementary Go Series, Volume 4 – Life and Death” trigclass=”cBookTitle”] While Life and Death does a great job providing a broad survey of different shapes through explanations and accompanying practice problems, this series uses the “learn it through experience” methodology. Though they may overlap on a good deal of material, I believe that they complement one another and would both be of great use to serious players wanting to improve their life and death.
[/expandsub2] [/expand] [expand title=”Recommended For…” trigclass=”expandTitle”]
- Players looking to improve their life and death skills.
- People who prefer to learn through experience rather than explanations.
- Yellow Mountain Imports – $13.00 USD (shipping & handling not included)
- Baduktopia – Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org to request pricing and shipping costs.
- Essential Life and Death 2
- Essential Life and Death 3
- Essential Life and Death 4
Last Updated on June 12th, 2013